As children begin to expand their vocabulary they seek fun ways to pick up new words. With the growth of the learning app market, there is an amazing variety of vocabulary apps that your children or students may benefit from. Whether you have an android, iPhone, iPad, Windows or a tablet there is something for everyone.
Every child is different and learns at a different pace so it is important to remember that the first or second app might not be one they like. We have heard parents say sometimes they end up with way too many learning apps on their device. This can be as a result of searching for that game that they enjoy and learn from.
There is a number of different categories too: puzzles, object games, word games and many more. The key is finding out what is fun and entertaining for them while they are building their vocabulary.
Vocabulary Tutor K-12
This App is for vocabulary lovers. It asks multiple choice questions to help build up their vocabulary. then after the game is over. Restart the game and play again and again. The questions are not same each time.
Need help with the SATs? This SAT vocabulary builder uses adaptive learning technology to help you succeed. With over 5000 words from the real SAT wordlist and a low price, this app has all the tools you need to succeed!
•Helps you grow your vocabulary
•Uses ALS adaptive learning technology
•Over 5000 words
•Made to help you suceed on the SATs
•No internet connection required
•Search for words
Montessori Crosswords - Spelling With Phonics AlphabetBased on the proven Montessori learning method, Montessori Crosswords helps kids develop their reading, writing, and spelling skills by building words from a set of 320 word-image-audio-phonics combinations using a phonics-enabled movable alphabet.
Montessori Crosswords helps kids learn and understand two fundamental concepts:
• First, the app helps kids understand that words are made up of sounds or phonemes (phonemic awareness). For each word, your kids can touch the empty rectangles where letters must be dragged to complete the word, and hear the sound that corresponds to the letter.
• Secondly, the app helps kids memorize the phonics associated with letters by providing a phonics-enabled alphabet where kids can touch each letter and hear the associated phonic.
Montessori Crosswords allows you to select words according to their difficulty or sound categories:
• Level 1 displays a three-letter word with no difficulty for beginning readers (CVC words)
• Levels 2 and 3 offer more complex words that contains more complex phonics (as long vowels sounds or blends), and also offer the option to automatically create multi-word crosswords in tens of thousands of different combinations
• Alternately, you can choose from 44 sound categories (i.e. choose words that contain a specific sound (for example, long a, “k” sound, and so on).
The Spelling Bee has fun game modes to practice spelling! Enter your weekly spelling words or choose from one of the pre-loaded lists with over 850 words! This app is recommended for preschool – 5th grade. It is great for practicing for tests at school, but it is also awesome for enrichment or summer practice!
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Duolingo: Learn Languages Free
Learn Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian, and English. Fun and unique, this can help build anyone's vocabulary. An independent study found that Duolingo trumps university-level language learning.
These are just a couple of apps that we found during our search for popular vocabulary building apps on different platforms. If you have a suggestion, favorite app, or developer that you would like to recommend, let us know in the comments!